Friday, Oct 29 Staff Appreciation Lunch
We are in need of a few more volunteers to complete the Sign Up Genius for the lunch APC is providing our teachers to show how much we appreciate all they do! Click here for details and to see what we still need. Thanks for your support!
Saturday, Oct 30 from 11am-2pm - Fall Campus Clean Up
Join our ACA Community and lend a hand to spruce up our campus! Click here to sign up. Participation hours can be counted towards the Acalanes Volunteer Service Award.
Did you miss the October 15 Dons Dialogue? Click here to view the webinar, or here to view the slides!
ACA Moment in Action
It was AMAZING to see so many students show up to support their friends in Music and Chorus at the ACA Pops Concert last Thursday night. It was an incredible show and the icing on the cake was all the cheering from so many different student groups. A big thank you to all the students who turned out for the Pops Concert! Your attendance was a perfect example of an ACA Moment.
We have all seen reports that frontline workers of color are disproportionately affected by Covid-19, and the Filipino American population is no different. According to National NursesUnited, Filipinos make up 4% of registered nurses in the US and yet they accounted for 26.4% of nurses who died from COVID-19 and related complications. October is Filipino American History Month, and it seems fitting to recognize these frontline workers as heroes. Follow the history of why 1 in 4 health workers in the US are Filipino through photos on CNN.
Tuesday, Nov 9 at 1pm “The History Against Truthful History” Webinar Don’t miss Season 2 of La Historia Uncovered, a conversation about the history of voting rights in Latino communities, with University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service Dean, Victoria DeFrancesco Soto. Click here to sign up.
October is Arts Month! Ever wonder why ancient Europeans are depicted as White even though Ancient Europe was actually more diverse? While paintings from Ancient Rome and Greece show a wide variety of skin tones that reflect a multi-ethnic society, statues do not. Learn why here.
Thanks to our Parent Ed family at Campolindo, we are offering some tips for study habits/skills:
Cynthia C. Muchnick, M.A. writes “After this challenging year of Zoom school, hybrid learning, and all sorts of unknowns for students, traditional study skills and time management strategies fell by the wayside.”
Most students didn’t have the opportunity to see peers or engage with teachers face-to-face during remote learning, and many kids even developed unusual sleep patterns. And when teens did roll out of bed to attend class, they did so in pajamas with constant temptation for distraction and short-cuts. Read more about Cynthia’s tips on how you as a parent/guardian can help instill and support good learning habits here. Feel free to check here for additional resources on study skills and strategies.
As previously mentioned, sleep is essential for brain health as well as for overall health and well-being. Most teens need between 8-10 hours of sleep each night (or maybe even more!), and homework, screens, extracurricular activities, and brain changes can sabotage. The Sleep Foundation offers some tips on sleep and sleep hygiene to help your teen sleep better.
Finally, if your teen is struggling with academics or feeling down or frustrated about school, don’t forget to use our Counselors, our Nurse, and our Wellness Center as resources.
Feel free to reach out and connect with us with ideas for future topics, shareable resources, or thoughts at email@example.com.
Monday, Oct 25 through Saturday, Oct 30 at 7pm Almost Maine
This week we have the Fall Play with performances every night! It is a not-to-miss event. Purchase your ticketahead of time; $7 for students and $14 for adults.
Monday, Oct 25 through Friday, Oct 29 Halloween Week:
- Tuesday at lunch in Room 314 - Staff/student pumpkin painting competition
- Wednesday at Academy - Halloween party with our essential skills students & friendly faces club
- Wednesday at lunch - Bob Ross Painting Day & Senior Bonding on the senior deck
- Wednesday at 7pm - Halloween Movie Night in the frosh quad watching Ghostbusters
- Friday at lunch - Halloween carnival in the frosh quad
Friday Oct 29 Student Equity Council in Room 314
Encourage your student to attend our October Equity Council during academy. Our Queer Student Alliance will be leading this meeting and continuing the important dialogue around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We are just kicking off the 2nd quarter and it is never too late to start attending club meetings. Clubs are continuing to meet and it is one of the BEST ways for students to get connected at Acalanes. Club meeting times and contact information are in the spreadsheet.
As always, I am here to support you and your students. If there is anything I can do, please don’t hesitate to reach out via e-mail.
Katherine Walton, Student Activities Director
- Friday, November 12 Deadline - DAR Good Citizens and Scholarship Opportunity
- College Visits in the CCC (have your student come by for a pass before school)
- Monday: Butler University, Skidmore College, Rollins College
- Tuesday: Pomona College, Southern Oregon University
- Wednesday: Franklin Olin College of Engineering, Pepperdine, Vassar
- ACADEMY - We will continue working on Cal State Applications, Common App, Coalition App, and UC apps this week!
- Virtual visits are upcoming on November 2 and November 14. These are quite engaging!
- Virtual College Visits - Check out these interesting virtual visits- Midwest Colleges, November 2 - Art and Stem Fair and November 14.
SOPHOMORES / FRESHMEN
- Volunteer and Work in the Community - Click here for some ideas to get youstarted. Here are the new forms for tracking your volunteer service hours for recognized awards.
Counselor assignments are by last name.
A - Dr Anne Schonauer
Du-Kr Christine Todd
Ku-Rog Marissa Meadows
Roh-Z Susan Martin
Tuesday, Dec 14 through Friday, Dec 17 Final Exams 2nd Quarter is going by fast! There are five more full weeks of school before finals week!
CSF Membership CSF membership status for the Fall 2021 application period is posted on the counseling office window. Any questions should be directed to Ms. Schonauer.
Counselor Appointments Counselors are checking in with all 9th graders during October. We want to start getting to know them and help them as best we can! We are always seeing any student for drop-in appointments.
October is the Letter of Recommendation Writing Season! Counselors are busy working on writing letters of recommendation for their seniors with ED/EA deadlines of November 1. We like to have a student and parent statement completed on Naviance, as well as a resume and a transcript order through the webstore. Please have your senior come see us with questions.
Ordering Official Transcripts for College Applications Please go here for step by step instructions if you or your student needs to order transcripts to be sent to colleges. Official transcripts are sent electronically in most cases, so physical addresses are not necessary.
- COVID VACCINE: I continue to encourage you to get your students and your families vaccinated. Please contact me for support if needed.
- Proof of vaccination: Try this site: https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/
- Need more masks? Your students do!!! Many students are arriving at school without a mask. Please make sure to have a generous supply of clean masks at home for your students. Keep an extra supply in the car too! And maybe even their backpacks and lockers… Everyone wears a mask indoors (outdoors optional with social distancing) and is encouraged to practice good hand hygiene.
- Any student that has illness symptoms should stay home until they have been symptom-free for at least 24 hours. If your student has NOT been vaccinated for COVID and/or has had a fever, please provide a negative Covid test result.
- If your student has a medical condition and/or needs medication available at school, please go to this link on my webpage to get the appropriate forms. All forms need to be filled out completely and signed by both the parents and the physician. Please bring any/all unexpired medication in its original bottle directly to me so that I can review the required medical documentation at that time.
- If there are any updates to your student’s vaccination record, please send me a copy. If your student is missing any required immunizations, they may not be able to be at school until those are complete. Please get in touch with me as soon as possible.
LPIE Read-a-thon is back and Acalanes Students can join in the Fun! Information packets are available in the Acalanes library. Readers can win raffle prizes including: Warriors Tickets, AirPods, Gift Certificates - and more Big Surprises. Students can log their own reading plus reading to younger siblings and neighbors. Click here to set up the pledge page, grab a book, and let's get reading!
LPIE Congratulates the Choir and Instrumental Musicians on their triumphant return to live performance at the ACA Pops Concert last Thursday. Thank you Lauren Gibson for your incredible direction. LPIE is proud to support our student musicians!
Jennifer Palmer and Michele Colaco, Acalanes LPIE School Chairs
www.lpie.org, Follow us on Instagram
Welcome to Almost, Maine, a place that’s so far north, it’s almost not in the United States. It’s almost in Canada. And it’s not quite a town, because its residents never got around to getting organized. So it almost doesn’t exist. One cold, clear, winter night, as the northern lights hover in the star-filled sky above, the residents of Almost, Maine, find themselves falling in and out of love in unexpected and hilarious ways. Knees are bruised. Hearts are broken. But the bruises heal, and the hearts mend—almost—in this delightful midwinter night’s dream.
DATES: Oct 25-30, 2021
LOCATION: AHS Little Theater
The DramaDons are back for the first time in 2 years and we couldn’t be more excited!
In response to COVID 19, tickets sales are limited to 100 seats per night. Distancing is encouraged and masks are required.
Tickets are available exclusively at:
Sales begin Saturday, October 16. Tickets will not be available at the door.
This week’s can’t miss events:
Tuesday, Oct 26 NCS Playoffs at 7pm
Thursday, Oct 28 through Saturday, Oct 30 DAL Championships
Girls water polo
Tuesday, Oct 27 at Miramonte 4pm
Friday, Oct 29 through Saturday, Oct 30 at Campolindo. DAL JV Tournament
Boys water polo
Monday, Oct 26 host Heritage for Senior Night. Varsity at 5pm and JV at 4pm
Tuesday, Oct 27 at Miramonte. Varsity at 7pm and JV at 6pm
Friday, Oct 29 through Saturday, Oct 30 at Campolindo. DAL JV Tournament
Thursday, Oct 28 host Miramonte. Freshman at 5pm
Friday, Oct 29 at Miramonte. Varsity at 7pm and JV at 4:30 pm
Here are the Fall sports schedules (subject to change):