Here are some opportunities for further inquiry on several topics:
- Before your child dons their favorite Halloween costume this year, ask them: are they using cultural appropriation? Watch how one teen feels about this practice: “My Culture is NOT a Costume”(Teen Vogue)
- Have you noticed the colorful new mural downtown by Uncle Yu’s? Learn more about this year’s theme here.
- Philippine journalist Maria Ressa is only the 18th woman to win the Nobel Prize out of 109 given. The Nobel Foundation explains, “Part of it is that we go back in time to identify discoveries. We have to wait until they have been verified and validated before we can award the prize. There was an even larger bias against women then. There were far fewer women scientists if you go back 20 or 30 years.” In 2018, the committee said it would take steps to address the imbalance.
- At the intersection of Latine Heritage Month and LGBTQ+ History Month, please enjoy this video of Mariachi Arcoiris de Los Angeles!
- In 1969, a riot at the Stonewall Inn in New York city became a turning point in the fight for LGBTQ civil rights. The protest through the streets of New York City is memorialized as the annual Gay Pride parades that are now celebrated around the world.