Applications Due Feb 26 for Student Government 2020-2021
If your student is interested or might be interested in joining student government next year, applications will be available beginning Wednesday. All the information including the link will be sent out via Canvas. We know that student government operates best when it has a variety of voices and experiences! Opt in! There are various entry points. Check out an overview of the various committees.
April 5 – Acalanes Leadership Applications Available
Is your 8th grader interested in joining student government at Acalanes? Applications will be available electronically beginning April 5th. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out to Katherine Walton.
Acalanes Spirit Wear
We have spirit wear available for the last time this school year! We added a couple new items including a tribute t-shirt to Mr. Huber & proceeds donated to the Parkinson’s Foundation in his name. Check out our spiritwear on the Acalanes webstore. Orders deadline is March 14th and items can be either picked up at Acalanes or delivered beginning April 6th.
April 18 – Deadline To Order Frosh Spirit Packs!
Know an 8th grader? Frosh spirit packs are a great promotion gift and kick off to a career at Acalanes! Each pack is $53 and features a hooded sweatshirt, car magnet & cinch backpack. Proceeds go to the Class of 2025. Order deadline is April 18th and packs will be delivered to your house beginning May 7th. Order here.
Adopt-a-Senior! Community Opt-In!
We want to celebrate our Seniors and show them just how much they are loved. One way is through the Adopt a Senior program. We have 104 Seniors who are participating.
Community member can opt-in to “adopt” a Senior. You can help our seniors feel appreciated in such trying times through special acts, or even give gifts to show that they are loved. The program will run until the start of spring break. If you opt in, we are asking that you give your senior one item a week and we will provide you with some ideas. We have designed the program so very little money is spent and instead it is focused on love, support & guidance! Interested? Fill out this google form.
We’ve got heart! Show your ACA Spirit by showing how much “heart” you have for Acalanes and our Lafayette community. Chalk your driveway with a BIG BLUE heart, hang hearts in your windows and look out for blue hearts and ACA Strong posters throughout Lafayette. Check out @ahs_dons on Instagram to see pictures and submit yours!
Black History Month Continues This Week!
There is a lot to celebrate, and a lot of dialogue in which to engage. Our challenge to the Acalanes community is to engage in at least one event and we encouraged students to do this in last week’s cohort. Check out the calendar of events here. Two community events to register for ahead of time:
- Wednesday, Feb 17 at 5pm – Women in Leadership Series with Elizabeth Brown – Elizabeth Brown is a resident of Georgia and is a Director at the Housing Authority. Prior to that, she was a Social Worker at The Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University in the Department of Psychiatry & Health Behavior. Link to register in advance.
- Tuesday, Feb 23 at 6:30pm – Arshay Cooper Dialogue – Join us in conversation with author Arshay Cooper. The dialogue will be facilitated by AHS parent Dan Meade, along with three AHS student panelists: Ava Freeman, Franny Daughters, and Miles Burger. Arshay will share more about his life, trauma, police brutality, film career, experience as a rower, and more. The novel and film chronicles the first African American high school rowing team in this country (made up of young men, many of whom were in rival gangs from the West Side of Chicago, coming together to row in the same boat). Order your copy from Orinda Books and a percentage of the proceeds will go to a BSU-selected charity. Please register in advance here.
Share your kindness story to promote positivity and a community of kindness! We will be compiling them all together in the end to create our own book of kindness!
Next Week Programming – Daily Events!
- Tuesday, Feb 16 at 3:30p – A virtual murder mystery. Look for the registration form via Canvas.
- Wednesday, Feb 17 at Lunch – Join a dialogue with Class of 2017 alumnae Casey Conrad, a water polo player who will share more about his experience at Princeton as a student and athlete.
- Thursday, Feb 18 at Lunch – Join us for a dialogue with the mayor of Lafayette, Susan Candell.
- Friday, Feb 19 at Lunch – Cake decorating! Does your student want to participate? Fill out this google form so we can drop all the supplies off at your house!
Club meetings continue. Check out our 49 clubs! Clubs continue to be one of the best ways for students to connect. We will be pushing out more information about clubs at the end of the week. Please encourage your student to check Canvas to learn more.
If I can ever do anything to help you or your student, don’t hesitate to reach out!
Katherine Walton, Student Activities Director