Week TWELVE in the Challenge to Build Habits Supporting Racial Equity
Who was the woman behind the famous quote “I am sick and tired of being sick and tired”? Learn more here about voting rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer.
November is Native American Heritage Month, and this Wednesday, November 11, is Veteran’s Day.
Enjoy this selection of PBS films documenting often untold stories about Native Americans serving in the U.S. Military.
Saturday, Nov 14 is the day Indian Americans celebrate Diwali.
Diwali is the five-day festival of lights, celebrated by millions of people across the world. It is a festival of new beginnings and the triumph of good over evil, and light over darkness.
Pronouns in Zoom and Canvas
Please encourage your student to add their pronouns into Zoom and Canvas. It allows our community to be more inclusive, less alienating to trans & non-binary people, and to lessen the binary nature of society.
Deadline Nov 29 to Order Acalanes DEI Yard Signs
Now available at shop.acalanesdons.com. Order yours today! Signs will be available for pick-up Dec 17 and 18.
Is Your Student Passionate About Equity Issues?
Sign up for these newsletters:
- Acalanes Diversity Board: “Diversity and Equity”. Encourage your student to get involved by sending a DM to @acalanes.diversity.
- Campolindo DEI: “Diversity Dispatch”. This is an inspiring student DEI effort at Campolindo. They are looking for student collaborators from across the district. Opinion pieces can be submitted using their website.
- Tuesday, Nov 10 from 7-8:30pm AUHSD DEI Book Club – Sign up here to join the book club discussion
- Monday, Nov 16 from 7-8:30pm – Sign up here to join the racial equity seminar series.
- Wednesday, Nov 18, 7pm “Be an Upstander, Not a Bystander” with Lori Hayes –Parents are invited to join their students to listen to this conversation. Register here.
More information or questions? Email us or visit our webpage.