As we continue celebrating Black History Month, ask your students what they are learning about. This week’s “Black Heroes” can be found here.
- Be sure to follow us on Instagram, where prominent Black Americans will be featured daily through Black History Month. Also follow Acalanes Diversity Board for student updates.
- See the full calendar of student and family events here.
This month, we are also learning about various holidays that are celebrated both here and around the world! The traditions and customs reflected in these holidays highlight the diversity of America.
February 8 is Buddhist Nirvana Day
February 12 is Chinese New Year – 2021 is the year of the Ox
February 14 is Frederick Douglass Day
Are you “Zoomed out” yet? We recognize that most people’s plates are full, and hope that you’ll still consider joining us for at least one of these upcoming events:
- Tuesday Feb 9, from 7-8:30pm – Racial Equity Series, Session 4 Reminder to join Dr. Lori Watson for a discussion on “Whiteness.” Zoom link will be sent out to all those registered prior to the meeting.
- Tuesday Feb 23 from 6:30-7:30pm – Private Virtual Speaker Event with Arshay Cooper, author of the novel “A Most Beautiful Thing” and co-star of the movie with the same name. Space is limited, so sign up here to ensure your spot! Purchase the book here, and watch the movie on Amazon Prime or Xfinity. The students will have access to a special film screening from Feb 19-21.
- Thursday Feb 25 at 6pm Student Poetry Night with Reve Family Dinner Special Join us for Acalanes BHM Poetry Night and skip the cooking while supporting REVE, a local Black-owned business! Get your REVE order in before 2/20 by calling 925-385-0793 and ask for the Acalanes School Special.
- REVE meal is $89 featuring Coq-a-vin (8 pieces of chicken; leg or thigh), a REVE salad including mixed greens, olive tapenade, and parmesan cheese with a lemon thyme vinaigrette and a loaf of par-baked bread to finish at home.
Lastly, please consider joining our committee!
Meetings are usually two Tuesdays per month. If you have ideas or questions, or you want more information, email us! Stay current by visiting our webpage, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram.