Welcome Debbie Levy: A New Face in the College & Career Center!
I’m very excited to be the new AHS College & Career Center advisor. I join the Acalanes community with an extensive education background, including college counseling, teaching, test preparation, application and essay writing, and K-12 publishing sales. For most of my career, I’ve focused on helping students discover and pursue their passions as they navigate their high school path and beyond. Volunteering and working in the community is such an integral way for kids to feel connected and inspired. My goal is to continue to offer students a plethora of ideas to help them get involved. I work actively with the Acalanes counselors to support your students and look forward to meeting with the Juniors before school ends to ensure they understand how to use Naviance effectively.
Please remind your seniors to join my Academy or Zoom sessions to discuss college and career decisions. Towards the end of the school year, I will be also reaching out to our Freshmen and Sophomores. I look forward to offering parent information events as well as working with you and your students throughout their high school journey.
- DVC Applications – It’s time to apply to DVC or many of our state’s large network of other Community Colleges. The registration deadline for signing up for the best selection of courses is MAY 8. I can help students navigate the registration system if they join my Academy on Teachmore and/or they can join these very informative upcoming Webinars led by DVC staff and students on March 24 at 3:30pm or April 8 at 2:30pm.
- Admission Decisions – This is a busy time for admissions decisions to roll out. Remind your students to check ALL emails from schools to make sure they don’t miss anything. If you have any questions about an admission decision or financial aid reach out directly to the university.
- Update Naviance with College Decisions – Congratulations to all seniors who have heard from schools already!!! These are such exciting times. It is very helpful for everyone to log into Naviance and update the decisions.
- Scholarships – There are still scholarships available. Naviance has many listed under the colleges section. Some deadlines are quickly approaching. Some applications require essays, so students should plan ahead. Here are some links to other scholarship sites:
Virtual College Visits for Juniors & Seniors
It’s usually popular to visit colleges over spring break; however, as you might have guessed, most campuses are recommending virtual visits. Before you cringe at the thought of more video presentations, check out these humorous tips from Tufts University near Boston, Massachusetts. As a popcorn lover myself and no theaters available to munch my corn, I enjoyed the popcorn suggestion! Please stop by the College & Career Center to let me know what inspired you.
- SAT Testing Reminder – Although many schools are test-optional, there are 2 upcoming SAT dates for students who may have prepared for these exams already. Locations are limited, but do check the College Board website to register for the May 8 or June 5 SAT administrations. Deadlines are soon.
- “Junior Jump Start” College Visits for six small liberal arts colleges on April 6 at 5pm. This is an interesting opportunity to get to know Williams, Carleton, Amherst College, Swarthmore, Pomona College, and Bowdoin. Tell your friends! Click here for the sign up.
Please feel free to call me at 925-280-3975, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m available for Academy visits for six students from 11:30am-noon Tuesday-Friday. You can also reach me for appointments on Mondays with your students by clicking here. I look forward to working with you!